CHECK IF THERE IS AN FDA-APPROVED GENERIC VERSION OF YOUR MEDICATION
This website tells you if your brand name prescription medication comes in a generic form and what the generic’s name is. (Copays on generic meds and the medications themselves cost less.)
Electronic Orange Book – http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/docs/querytn.cfm
PENNSYLVANIA $4 to $10 GENERIC PRESCRIPTIONS
11555 Frankstown Rd, Pittsburgh, PA, 15235
- Prescription medications
- Compounded products
- Devices and equipement relevant to healthcare (e.g. glucose monitors, nebulizers, etc.)
Pharmaceutical services include but are not limited to:
- Funding to assist uninsured and Medicare ‘gap’ patients
- Private and individual counseling on prescription and nonprescription medications irregardless of patronage as a customer
- Assistance with completion of insurance forms
- Vaccination clinics
- ‘Brown Bag’ services (Customers bring in all their medications in a ‘Brown Bag’ for the pharmacist to review and evaluate)
- Monitoring and informational sessions on chronic conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol care
PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
NeedyMeds is a non-profit web portal that provides information to help people afford medications and other health care.
– Drug list – look for the medication that you need on the list (by brand name or generic name) and then find programs listed that might provide you with that med.
– Program list – look up the name of the company that produces your medication and see if they have a patient assistance program.
– Find coupons for discounts or free medications next to medication names.
If you don’t find your medication or medication manufacturer on their list, try contacting the manufacturer of your medication yourself and asking them if they can help you.
DISCOUNT MAIL-ORDER MEDICATION SERVICES
Express Scripts Specialty Distribution Services, Inc.
PO Box 66536 . Saint Louis, MO 63166-6536
This is a non-profit pharmacy that provides FDA-approved generics at low prices.
Individuals whose income is $37,470 a year or less are eligible. Income limit for two persons is $50,730, three people $63,990. No cost to join.
**Many family health care centers have pharmacies onsite which can offer prescriptions at a low or sliding scale rates. See clinic listings HERE.