Please feel free to add or edit resources or to comment on your experiences using the resources listed by using the comments function underneath each section. This site is meant to be a community resource. Our hope is that we can support each other in being active, informed healthcare consumers.
NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION LIFELINE
FOR VETERANS PRESS 1
UPMC re:SOLVE CRISIS NETWORK
re:solve Crisis Network
333 North Braddock Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15208
Located near Point Breeze, Homewood, and Wilkinsburg, Pa.
- Telephone: call any time and speak with a trained counselor at 1-888-7-YOU CAN (1-888-796-8226).
- Mobile dispatch unit: our trained crisis counselors will travel to where you are — anywhere in Allegheny County.
- Walk in: you don’t need an appointment when you visit our North Braddock Avenue location, near Pittsburgh, Pa. Just walk in and talk about your concerns or those of a family member or friend.
- Residential services: accessible for individuals, ages 14 and older, whose crisis extends over a period of time. We provide up to 72 hours of residential services at our North Braddock Avenue location.
UNITED WAY’S 211 HELPLINE
Call 211 24 hrs/7 days a week for referrals for drug and alcohol, mental health, social services…
East End Cooperative Ministry Free Behavioral Health Services
East End Cooperative Ministry
6140 Station Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15206/East Liberty
EECM offers free mental health consultation and therapy with a masters level clinician for individuals age 18+ who are uninsured or underinsured (copay is too expensive to afford weekly counseling).
o Generally available Monday-Friday 8a-4p with some evening flexibility.
Here are some things you can expect when meeting with Vince.
- During the first meeting he will ask what you want to talk about. He will listen and reflect what he is hearing to make sure he is on the same page with you.
- During each meeting he will use a short form to ask you what you want to work on, if you are getting better, and if he is helping you in the best way possible
- In following meetings he will help you find (or remember) skills to cope with current and future stress.
- He believes that every person has wisdom and that every person is valuable. He believes that when people are given a safe place to be themselves that they tend to grow and feel better. He strives every day to create that safe place in his office for the people who collaborate with him.
PLANNED PARENTHOOD COUNSELING SERVICES
933 Liberty Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
- Pregnancy Options Counseling
- Post Abortion Counseling
- Professional Counseling Services
PPWP staffs professionally trained, master-level therapists and interns that are available to you regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, spiritual beliefs or cultural background.
Have a question? Email the Counseling Department. To make an appointment, email email@example.com
or call 412-434-8971.
Entrance is wheelchair accessible, and all client bathrooms have rails available.
DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY PSYCHOLOGY CLINIC
Services are available to Duquesne University Students and employees as well as to the Pittsburgh Community. Doctoral students in Duquesne University’s clinical psychology program provide all services. Licensed clinical faculty members and selected licensed adjunct faculty psychologists in the community are involved in the supervision of all doctoral students.
Any full time college student – $10
All other clients, including couples – $20
Fee Per Psychotherapy Session:
Full-time Duquesne University Students – $10
For all other clients, the fee is calculated on a sliding scale
$1 per $1,000 of Annual Family Income
Minimum fee is $10, Maximum Fee is $60
Fees can be altered during financial hardship
Fees for Consulting Psychiatrist:
Clinic Fee per session = Psychiatric Fee
$0-$10 = $20
$11 – $20 = $40
$21 – $30 = $60 (maximum fee)
Military and Spanish Services are offered free of charge
Check out their website http://www.duq.edu/about/centers-and-institutes/psychology-clinic
or call 412-396-6562 for more information.
ADRIA A. FREDERICKS, M.ED., LPC
1201 South Braddock Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
Website: Listed under thecenterforcounselingarts.com
Flexible hours Tues.,Wed.,Thurs.
Negotiable fee for service only.
Unfortunately my office is not wheelchair accessible, although I do try to make alternate arrangements when possible.
JEWISH FAMILY AND CHILDREN’S SERVICES
5743 Bartlett Street
Pittsburgh PA 15217
Squirrel Hill Psychological Services offers support to individuals, couples and families as well as organizations and groups. Special expertise is available for children and adolescents.
Counseling services are covered by many major insurers, HMO’s, Medicare and Medical Assistance. Sliding scale fees are offered for those without insurance.
PITTSBURGH PASTORAL INSTITUTE
412-661-1239 (ext. 16)
Pittsburgh Pastoral Institute (PPI) is an interfaith counseling and psychotherapy center that integrates into the counseling process both the behavioral sciences and the resources of a client’s particular religious faith. Counseling and psychotherapy for individuals, couples, families and groups.
PPI’s services are covered by most major insurance companies. Some financial assistance is available in cases of financial hardship or lack of insurance.
As of April 2013, the Pittsburgh Pastoral Institute charges a minimum $50 fee for uninsured, sliding scale clients according to the person I spoke with on the phone. To quote the email: “This is for any household income up to $50,000 annually. From there it goes up $1 per $1000, i.e., if income is $55,000, fee is $55 per session; if annual income is $60,000, fee is $60 per session, and so on.” Hope this helps!