CHECK IF THERE IS A GENERIC COUNTERPART FOR YOUR MEDICATION
This website tells you if your brand name prescription medication (proprietary) has a generic counterpart. (Copays on generic meds usually cost less.)
Electronic Orange Book – http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/docs/querytn.cfm
GET A PRESCRIPTION ONLINE QUICKLY
This service costs $59, but could be helpful in an urgent situation.
GIANT EAGLE $4 or $10 GENERIC PRESCRIPTIONS
Bring in your prescription and your Giant Eagle Advantage card to a Giant Eagle pharmacy. Drug list:
You can get a 30-day supply for $4 or a 90-day supply for $10 of the generic medications on their list, without health insurance.
11555 Frankstown Rd, Pittsburgh, PA, 15235
Pharmaceutical products include but are not limited to:
- Prescription medications
- Compounded products
- Devices and equipement relevant to healthcare (e.g. glucose monitors, nebulizers, etc.)
Pharmaceutical services include but are not limited to:
- Funding to assist uninsured and Medicare ‘gap’ patients
- Private and individual counseling on prescription and nonprescription medications irregardless of patronage as a customer
- Assistance with completion of insurance forms
- Vaccination clinics
- ‘Brown Bag’ services (Customers bring in all their medications in a ‘Brown Bag’ for the pharmacist to review and evaluate)
- Monitoring and informational sessions on chronic conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol care
PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
NeedyMeds is a non-profit web portal that provides information to help people afford medications and other health care.
– Drug list – look for the medication that you need on the list (by brand name or generic name) and then find programs listed that might provide you with that med.
– Program list – look up the name of the company that produces your medication and see if they have a patient assistance program.
– Find coupons for discounts or free medications next to medication names.
If you don’t find your medication or medication manufacturer on their list, try contacting the manufacturer of your medication yourself and asking them if they can help you.
DISCOUNT MAIL-ORDER MEDICATION SERVICES
Express Scripts Specialty Distribution Services, Inc.
PO Box 66536 . Saint Louis, MO 63166-6536
The program currently provides more than 360 FDA-approved generics. Also have birth control pills.
Individuals whose income is $36,180 a year or less are eligible. Income limit for two persons is $48,720, three people $61,260. No cost to join.
Many family health care centers have pharmacies onsite which can offer prescriptions at a low or sliding scale rate, see listings below.