Please feel free to add or edit resources or to comment on your experiences using the resources listed by using the comments function underneath each section. This site is meant to be a community resource. Our hope is that we can support each other in being active, informed healthcare consumers.
SEVERE WEATHER EMERGENCY SHELTER
Smithfield United Church
620 Smithfield Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Interested persons can call the SWES 24-hour information line at 412-779-1329 to determine if the shelter is open that evening.
The SWES operates between 7:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., between November 15 and March 15, when the following conditions exist :
• The temperature is predicted to be 25°F or less factoring in wind chill.
• Conditions of freezing rain, heavy snowfall, severe wind chill factor, etc.
• During a National Weather Service declared blizzard/emergency weather situation.
STREET OUTREACH SCHEDULE
Operation Safety Net sends street outreach teams to shelters, food kitchens, but also just different locations around the city e.g. Market Square. If someone needs care, they need to go to the team meeting point at the beginning of the shift, as physicians will be walking the streets in that location after meeting. Call them, phone below, for the schedule, or see them on the Health Care for the Homeless schedule.
OPERATION SAFETY NET – Downtown
1518 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Health care outreach e.g. mobile van services for homeless people in the Pittsburgh area, as well as case management and the Wellspring drop-in clinic, which offers health care free of charge.
HEALTH CARE FOR THE HOMELESS (HCH) PITTSBURGH
Health Care for the Homeless Pittsburgh supplies health care and social services to homeless people by coordinating with community health providers and social service agencies.
- primary care
- dental care
- mental health care
- vision services
- substance abuse services
- pharmacy services
- referrals for necessary specialty and hospital services
- outreach informing of available services
- assistance establishing eligibility for housing and entitlement programs
- case management for adults, families and children
See the schedule below, or call the number above for dates/times/locations:
THE HUB OUTREACH CENTER CLINIC
Three Rivers Youth
6117 Broad Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15206 (East Liberty)
The Hub is an outreach and drop-in center for runaway and homeless youth.
Drop in Center hours are 10 A.M to 2 P.M, Monday through Thursday.
- Emergency food.
- Assessment, counseling and crisis intervention
- Linkages with all needed services (shelter, permanent housing, jobs or job training, health care, rape crisis, domestic violence and legal services)
- Street outreach to identify and recruit youth in need of services from the Hub
- Aftercare and follow-up for all youth who can be contacted
- Linkages with the broad spectrum of services for youth and families at TRY
- Semi monthly psychiatric services on site.