Please feel free to suggest resources, suggest listing edits or share your experiences using listed resources in the comments. This site is meant to be a community resource. Our hope is that we can support each other in getting what we need.
RESOURCES FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS WITH CANCER AND THEIR FAMILIES
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Resource Page:
FOUNDATION FOR WOMEN’S CANCER
Very extensive resource page:
AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY
320 Bilmar Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15205
Cancer Helpline at 800.227.2345
“Whether you want to learn about treatment options, get advice on coping with side effects, or have questions about health insurance, we’re here to help. We can even find you a free ride to treatment or a free place to stay when treatment is far from home.”
HEALTHY WOMAN PROGRAM
What is the HealthyWoman Program?
The HealthyWoman Program is a free breast and cervical cancer early detection program of the Pennsylvania Department of Health. It is funded by the Department of Health and through a grant the department receives from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
What services can I receive through the HealthyWoman Program?
Free services for those meeting the eligibility standards include:
- Clinical breast examination;
- Pelvic examination and Pap smear; and
- Follow-up diagnostic tests for an abnormal screening result.
How do I know if I’m eligible?
- Age: Breast screening and diagnostics – Women 40 through 64
Cervical screening and diagnostics – Women 21 through 64
NOTE: Younger women may be eligible if they have symptoms. You may be eligible if you are 65 or older and do not have Medicare Part B.
Transgender individuals may also be eligible.
- Residency: A woman must live in Pennsylvania.
- Income: A woman is eligible for the HealthyWoman if her family’s gross household income is at or below 250 percent of the federal poverty annual guideline.
|2017 Federal Poverty Income Guidelines at
250 Percent of Poverty
||Gross Monthly Income
|Each additional person
- Insurance status: A woman must be uninsured or underinsured
An underinsured woman is one who has health insurance, but it does not cover the breast or cervical diagnostic services offered by HWP or who is financially unable to pay any required deductible or co-payment.
A woman enrolled in Medicare Part B or Medicaid is not eligible.
Call the HealthyWoman hotline at 1-800-215-7494
In a matter of minutes, you will know if you are eligible.
CANCER CARING CENTER
All services of the Cancer Caring Center are FREE. To request assistance call us at 412-622-1212 or visit the Center at 4117 Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield (across from the Bloomfield Bridge). Our hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our Center is wheelchair accessible.
- Professional counseling
- Support groups (including for women with breast cancer and for young adults)
- A telephone helpline
- Live Well With Cancer programs and workshops
- The center sponsors Pet Therapy for children who have a family member with cancer, in partnership with Animal Friends
- Community support groups in the North Hills (UPMC Passavant Hospital), South Hills (St. Clair), Monroeville (AHN Forbes Regional), Cranberry (UMPC Passavant Cranberry) and Johnstown (Murtha Pain Institute)
- Wellness Programs (Zumba, Hands on Therapy, Gentle Yoga, Art Therapy and Reiki)
2816 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Mon: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Tues – Thurs*: 9:00am – 8:00pm
Fri: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Sat (once per month): 9:00am – 3:00pm
*Hours may vary depending on programming, please consult calendar.
“Our Clubhouse is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that provides free emotional and social support to those touched by cancer in western Pennsylvania.
Those living with cancer at any age, as well as the family and friends who care for them, are welcome to join Our Clubhouse and receive free support. Click here to learn how you can become a Member or visit our online calendars to see upcoming activities.”
LEUKEMIA & LYMPHOMA SOCIETY
THE W PA/W VA CHPT.-GEN. PATIENT SRV.
River Walk Corporate Centre 333 E. Carson Street, Ste, 441
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Monday – Friday 9 am to 9 pm ET. 1.800.955.4572
Emotional Support Resources: